Friday 14 November 2008

Dying Well

Edward Leigh MP

Parliament has once again this week been discussing “assisted dying”, i.e. euthanasia.

I don’t want to go through all the arguments, just give a couple of personal experiences.

I met recently with a patient suffering from Alzheimer’s. I was looking after him in a hospital ward for a short time. I can’t say where. Or who he was. True, I could do nothing for him. Everything I told him he forgot within a couple of minutes. But he did so much for me. He seemed so angelic, at peace, even holy.

I was profoundly moved. The simplest, most intimate tasks to help him seemed so important, and he said one thing that has stuck with me: “What I can’t stand is cruelty.” I suppose supporters of euthanasia would argue his life was fulfilling no purpose for himself. I doubt that, but even if that is true, it was fulfilling something very important for his carers and his family.

My second experience was with my mother. By the last three months she had no physical quality of life whatsoever. She could not even move in her bed, let alone out of it. She was in pain. If euthanasia was available, as she only thought of others, she might have said: “I am only a burden, now is the time to end it.” But what a tragedy that would have been, because she read and talked to the last, and died peacefully and within a day, of pneumonia, with her family around her. There were no agonising decisions to take. It just happened.

Of course every experience is different, but the very old have so much to teach us. Everyone accepts that the most poignant moment of all the Remembrance Day parades was when 112-year-old Henry Allington tried and failed to stand up to lay his wreath.

Gaudium etsi laboriosum (“Joy in spite of hardship”).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From the few posts I have read of yours you seem to be a relatively well rounded individual, with strong opinions. A rarity it seems amonst politicians these days, perhaps the free press misinforming I do not know.

I agree with your stance on euthanasia that it could be used for "evil" by both the host and the carers. The aged can offer so much in terms of wisdom, and all they ask is to be taken care of. Something i will not debate here.

Euthanasia does have its positives, however grim they may seem. Giving a person a choice over their life is true freedom and many oppose it. A person in agonising pain who has no carers and no hope for recovery may wish to end the process prematurely. This may upset the onlookers but it offers that person peace and true freedom. The right to life is slowly being perverted in this nation, as with most governments they seek to control rather then let the populace live.

Not exactly a counter, simply another brief perspective on euthanasia.